Providing Autism Diagnostic Testing for Children
Autism Diagnostic Testing
The diagnosis of Autism incorporates three components:
1) Clinical Interview:
Conducted with parent or guardian, in which a history of the developmental course is obtained. This includes motor, language, social, and emotional functioning. The Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R) is also completed.
2) Clinical Observation:
Observations of the child in a variety of settings and situations. Typically start with in-clinic observation in waiting room and during the administration of the ADOS-2, and if needed, will observe the child in academic or social situations.
3) Formal Assessments:
- A. Social Rating Scale-Revised (SRS-2).
- B. Comprehensive speech and language evaluation utilizing a measure appropriate to the child’s age. Preschool Language Scale-5 (PLS-5), Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamental -5 (CELF-5); Comprehensive Assessment of Language (CASL).
- Although not necessarily needed to make the diagnosis of Autism, intellectual testing may occur and would be completed using one of the following: Bayley Scales of Infant Development-III (BSID-III), Differential Ability Scales-2nd ed. (DAS-2), or the Weschler Intelligence Scales for Children-5th ed. (WISC-V).
- If a pattern of the child’s strengths and weaknesses was required to aid in treatment planning, then a full neuropsychological evaluation would be administered using measures based on age and ability level.
- Assessment with outside agencies would be made to:
- U of Iowa Genetics clinics to rule out genetic disorders that mimic autism.
- Neurology to rule out seizure disorder
- Audiology to rule out hearing problems or deafness
Metro West also administers the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS-2). This semi-structured assessment focuses on the areas of communication, social interaction, and play to help determine a diagnosis of Autism or other pervasive developmental disorders. Our team includes a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Speech Language Pathologist, and a Neuropsychologist.
Referrals may be made to our Director of Operations, Megan Christensen, at (515) 987-8835 or email@example.com.